[RC] Blanketing & Raingear - Fred & Cynthia Ross

Just my opinion but I believe that blanketing a healthy unclipped horse in the winter just makes US feel good and is no real favor to the horse. I too think it just messes with what they do naturally all on their own. I don't clip or blanket and never have in the 28 years I've had horses/mules. I have most always let mine have run-in access 24/7 and never had a problem. Never had to up the feed all that much. Even when it is raining and they get went and it is cold and the hair looks all packed down. I've never seen them have a problem and they were the ones that chose to stand out and get wet.

Now when I got my mule early last spring and brought her from Southern Illinois to Maine, she had shed out a lot and she was cold and shivering here. So I absolutely did blanket her until things warmed up.

And ..... I ride in rain pants. They have worked great.

Cindy R. in Maine