[RC] shin splints - oddfarm

The treatment for shin splints is rest, ice, cross training and addressing
the biomechanical causes. (Straddling a round horse w/ short legs would not
be causative by my definition. And it's hard to imagine high enough impact
in the stirrups from posting unless one's feet were actually lifting out of,
and then smacking, the stirrups w/ each stride or unless one had too much
weight in the stirrups, not using the thrust/rhythm of the horse for lift.)

Beverley

I loved your description with the fruit. It made it very easy to visualize! I use to suffer shin splints when I first started running. At that time, running shoes left A LOT to be desired and anything less than 60 miles a week for training wasn't really running. My, how things have changed.

I am getting ready for a marathon and find that cross training with trail running and replacing my shoes often (more often than I would like 'cause they ain't cheap!) has prevented any such problems. However, I was getting shin splints bad a while back while riding 50's. I couldn't figure it out until I stopped wearing half chaps. My chaps were gripping the fenders on my saddle which caused a constant friction between my calf and shin bone. I could barely walk after a ride and actually had bruising along the inside of my leg right in the middle of my shin area. I guess the pulling of the calf muscle back and forth caused the fascia to constantly pull across the front shin bone. It was extremely painful. Even a few too many martinis couldn't mask the pain :) They did however, make the walk back to my trailer hysterically funny (:-O Noooooo!

Lisa Salas, The Odd fArm