Re: [RC] Expenses - Steph Teeter

Tom says
"I guess what i am trying to say is that with spending that much money i would have expected more"

Well the Malaysians certainly hoped for more as well. The amount that they spent on this trip is less than 1/2 of what you estimated (including King and dignitaries), but still that's a whole lot of money. And you must also figure the trips to Uruguay and Chile. And then the horses must still be purchased.

Now when you look at the money being spent to host the WEC, including building the venue, hosting the Sultans Cup test event, etc etc, then you realize the extent of their commitment. As I said, the entire Nation is behind the effort, and it is a long term commitment. The immediate goal of fielding a team for the WEC is driving the pace this year, but they have a long term policy mandate to build the sport.

As a comparison it would be VERY interesting to look at funds spent to field Olympic teams, build Olympic venues. World Cups, etc.. And our 2010 WEG effort in Lexington. I think sports is big business....

Steph

p.s. if this WEC was following the same qualification guidelines as ANY of the previous WEC's, there would not be an issue. There would already be a full team, plus alternates, qualified to represent their country.

p.p.s. I've flown to Malaysia for as little as $2k. This was a gov't sponsored trip - you can expect they would get a significant price break on airfares.