From: "Beverley H. Kane, MD" <sensei@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "treelesssaddles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <treelesssaddles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: RideCamp <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Barefoot/Bob Marshall/Fhoenix/Freeform  Comparison
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 12:00:58 -0800

Yesterday I had the opportunity to ride in a Heather Moffatt Fhoenix
dressage saddle, bringing to 4 the number of treeless saddles I've
experienced. So here is a little report on all 4 saddles.

Executive Summary: All things considered, I like the Freeform best and will
probably get one to replace my Barefoot Cheyenne. I might wait til the new
FF models come out, and get one if I think that the FF is as universal (fits
almost all horses) as the BFC.

ME: ---- Height: 5¹4 1/2² in Ariat Dumas, short legs w/ Sagittarius thighs Weight: 120 Summer/125 Winter (burning those extra 5# during Lent!) Rider type: riding x 5 yrs, English, Western, "cowboy dressage"; endurance/trail; mainly ride other people's endurance horses

In order of how recently I've ridden in them:

HM FHOENIX
--------------
Configuration: Black dressage model w/ English leathers & stirrups, fuzzy
dressage girth; bare seat; no breast collar or crupper
Age/Mileage: New, probably less than 10 miles; bought for 5'7" 170# person
+ 16.2 warmblood eventer
Pad: My Equipedic
Horse(s): 15.2 part Arabian mutt, no conformational oddities
When ridden: Yesterday
How ridden: 45¹ English lesson in an arena
~Price: £1095 = $2128
Pros: Close contact, comfy, legs under me
Cons: Too cushy, no twist, seat rather flat, esp for a dressage
saddle, didn't feel secure enough for endurance
Comments: Note short time of ride. I was paying attention mostly to the
horse, whom I was riding for 1st time, and who was 3
weeks new to the ranch and not an easy ride.

BAREFOOT CHEYENNE
-------------------------
Configuration: Grasshopper w/ original seat, Western fenders, EZ Ride
stirrups, fiberglass pommel & cantle, mohair Montana
cincha girth; breast collar +/- crupper on trail rides
Age/Mileage: ~1 year old. ~100-150 miles
Pad: My Equipedic
Horse(s): Many different Arabians, inc 'my' 24 yo sl swayback mare
When ridden: For the past year, 2-4x/week
How ridden: American River 50; 1/2 flat ranch, 1/2 hilly trails
~Price: $649 (+ $50 for Grasshopper)
Pros: cushy ike a sofa, fits every horse I ever tried it on, I
can sit my mare's sewing machine trot, which I could
barely do in a treed saddle; it has a bareback feel
Cons: Too cushy, no twist, seat rather flat, almost came out of
it on a large, bouncy Arab; fenders still stiff; not
enough D rings--can't get Stowaway pack to sit right
(haven't tried Lucy's config yet, though); girth straps
stand too far off the saddle--makes girthing uneven
Comments: This is my main saddle. I never found a horse this saddle
doesn't fit. I got it b/c it seemed to be the Universal
Saddle, as I ride mainly other people's endurance
horses.

FREEFORM
-------------
Configuration: Not sure what model, Classic or SB I think; English leathers;
EZ Rides w/ cages; bare seat; breast collar + crupper;
fuzzy dressage girth; bought for 5'1" 110 lb person
Age/Mileage: Several years old, probably has 1,000-2,000 miles
Pad: Older Equipedic
Horse(s): 11 yo Arabian mare w/ thinner build
When ridden: 3 mos ago x 2
How ridden: 2 10-12 mi conditioning rides on steep hills
~Price: $1425
Pros: Comfortable, secure, good twist; good close contact,
lots of D rings
Cons: Not as deep and secure and close contact as Bob Marshall
Comments: Not sure if this saddle is as Universal as Barefoot. This
saddle (well, it's horse and rider) won Desert Gold x 2
days and won + BC'd the 20 MT 100 a few weeks ago,
plus won and/or BC'd many other rides. Many of the top
riders in the (AERC) West Region swear by the FF.

BOB MARSHALL
------------------
Configuration: BMSS endurance; ~16 1/2" bought for 5'9" 150# person riding
endurance; Eng type stirrup leathers w/ leather tube
coverings; EZ Rides; breast collar - ? crupper;
?? girth*
Age/Mileage: New; probably <50 mi
Pad: Skito
Horse(s): 6 yo Arab gelding
When ridden: Over a year and a half ago
How ridden: 12 mi conditioning ride on steep hills
~Price: $925
Pros: Deep, secure seat; very close contact, lots of D rings
Cons: Sore muscles after ride, figured I'd have to get used to
it. Sore shins from buckles, even w/ 1/2 chaps &
leather tubes. Didn't fit short-backed horse.
Comments: *Note that I rode in this saddle a long time ago, so I don't
remember some details. I -loved- this saddle despite
the aches and pains, which I figured I could work out,
and wanted to get it instead of the BFC.
But it was almost twice the price fully loaded,
and isn't "universal." If I had my own endurance horse,
I would compare the FF and the BM and choose.

After girth adjustments, I was able to mount all saddles from the ground w/o
slippage.