[RC] grandpa - Kathie Ford

This is a great "new" thread. Sounds like everybody had a neat grandpa.

I have a grandpa story that is a little off but I thought funny enough to share.

Both my grandpas were horseman. My parents however were scared to death of horses. Guess it skipped a generation.

Anyway, my paternal grandpa rode alot in the High Sierras taking my dad packing with him. My dad said he'd be scared on some of the narrow trails they'd ride. One day on a high country trail his dad, who by the way took photos for National Geographic, decided to stop at a bridge and go down below for a photo. My dad said he had a really bad feeling about it. Shortly after his dad walked off my dads horse spooked and ended up falling off a bridge! The mare ended up in a tree upside down just missing a granite boulder. By the time he ran down to help his dad was already there, had the mare somehow back on her feet and okay. My dad said he'd never forget that. Said his dad had a real way with horses.

On the maternal side, my moms dad. Well he broke horses for people. Two stories come to light. My mom said she was watching him one day working a horse in I guess what we'd call a round pen. The horse was bucking and carrying on. She was sitting up on some hay bales watching. (this was in Hanford CA.)..Anyway, next thing she knew the horse took my grandpa Mac over the fence and off they went. Said she waited for about an hour. Sure enough back they came. Horse and rider just fine!

One other story about my Grandpa Mac that is quite unusual is that he later became a very well respected San Francisco Attorney. Unfortunately he also became an alcoholic too. When I was about 10 we had a family vacation in Twain Harte (sonora, ca.) My aunts, uncles our family (we had four kids) and grandma and grandpa (mac above)_all there. Well I loved my Granpa and would often follow him. I did this one day on vacation and on my way out the door noticed my Grandpa down on his knees digging by a large Pine tree. I couldn't figure out why he looked like a doggie! Hehe..so it really had my attention. I continued to watch. Then, he pulled up a clear bottle of what turned out to be Vodka and started chugging a little. I was very amused by this and continued watching. He didn't see me at all. After his good chug he reburied the bottle.

So the nice little granddaughter that I was went in to ask Grandma why he'd do that. Be a doggie? She was a very elegant woman, sophisticated and well controlled of temper. But the look on her face said everything. She looked at my mom and then down at me and asked where this "bottle" was. I showed her...This gets really good!!!

So, she gets on HER knees digs up the bottle, goes into the kitchen, pours almost all of it out and fills it back up to where it was with water!!! hahahahahahahaha..

then she reburies it! ahahahahah

We waited and watched him all day until he returned. I can tell you it was well worth it when we saw his face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahah BUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HEHEHEHE Grandma style!!

Ahahah...she didn't even have to say a word to him. The gesture spoke volumnes in a very humorous way~

Good thing is he stopped drinking and was clean for the next 45 years!!!!! :) Ironically, he won cases in court; sort of, well, not completely there. I was proud that he did stop though. It wasn't so funny later on; prior to him quitting.

He was the first one to take me horseback riding too!!!! I got to even canter!!!

cheers,
kathie