[RC] Grandpa - Smith, Dave

Unfortunately, my Grandpa died when I was only six, but not before he gave me my first horse – a stick horse that he made in his woodshop under backdoor steps to my Grandma’s house.  I don’t remember that much about him, other than he would make wooden toys for us kids.  He was particularly good with tops, making all kinds and sizes.  I recall him spinning and balancing three or four on his hand.  One day he decided to play a trick on Grandma who stored  her strawberry preserves in large jars in his workshop.  He called me in, opened one of the jars, took a huge scoop of jam out with his bare hand and together we mounted the steps to Grandma’s kitchen.  “Davy,” he directed, “run into the house shouting that “Grandpa just cut off his hand.”  Of course I thought that to be a great joke and did as told.  I rushed in screaming my head off about Grandpa’s severed hand and the old man came scrambling in right behind, his hand dripping with red gore.  Grandma was at the stove and turned as we rushed in.  I’ll never forget the look of panic on her face and how white it became – just before she fainted!  My mom came running and almost joined her.  Once we had the women back on their feet and Grandpa revealed the “joke” they grabbed whatever was handy – a broom – a cleaver – and went after Grandpa. Chasing him all around the house.  Needless to say, my Mom had some severe words to say to me.  And Grandma?  She wouldn’t talk to me for a month!  But still, the old man and I had quite a laugh about it all – once the smoke had cleared!