[RC] horse fighting/herd - Kathie Ford

Yes, it is important for socialization.

I knew a person who had a very large herd of horses, mostly mustangs and curlies. She had several of her young stallions together with a gelding or two thrown in. They got along quite well together and seemed very content.

They were very nice to be around. They were so good my 9 and 10 y/ods at the time were pretty darn safe walking around among them (with my supervision of course..and they understood how to behave around stallions and horses)

Sadly, this person had too many and the care went down hill. I could never fault her for how she socialized them however. They were all pretty content. She also mixed some geldings with mares, and also accordingly to there temperments as well.

I have a small herd of 9 at home. One mare I've been socializing one on one before she can go into the full herd. There are three female family members in the large herd and the can band together when a new one arrives. So I work on their approval first. Then wait until the lead mare is in season, (she'll accept anybody then! ), and then the others. I have one separate small pasture for a new horse (or visiting) right next to the larger one so they can safely socialize and get to know one another first.

I just put my husbands gelding in with the mares a few months ago. Had to make sure they'd accept him and not gang up on him since he's the only boy. He also goes down the street sometimes to spend time with our other rescue Gelding for some "boy" play time. He enjoys that too. I did the same type of socializing with him as with this other mare above. When the ground dries the newer mare will be put in permanent with the others as its just about time for that. They've all accepted her except 1 mare.

A human can interfer in the herd behavior. My alpha mare is great! She was my first horse. I love her help at feeding time as she does what I call "the sweep!" She makes sure they all stand back mannerly while I sweep the mats and put out the food. Then, she allows them in their order to walk to their places. The smarter ones wait in the back till the bossy ones are in place. Then they move to their "spots" If any one of them steps out of turn she reprimands them. My big mare (alpha) makes me chuckle as she stands guard over me while I get things set up..Has done this every day for last six years. Then she raises her leg to "shake hands" and gets a carrot or something! Funny!! "Mom, are you proud of me???!!" "I helped!!"

I love horses. They are so great!

cheers,
kathie