[RC] PVC corrals - Mary Howell

The two riders I've known who've successfully used 3-4" PVC corrals added
electric tape along the inside of the top rail (with little metal U-hook
holders to keep it in place) so their horse stayed off the perimeter and was
less likely to put its head through a rail and cause havoc. They used VERY
tight fitting couplers, which made it kind of a pain to get the thing apart
went the ride was over, but makes it more stable.

I witnessed a horse destroy a PVC corral so badly that the PVC shattered and
the shards messed up the horse's leg so it wouldn't compete the next day -
so the thicker and sturdier the PVC used, the better.

If you can find welded steel panels, they are heavy but worth the peace of
mind. I got a set of 10 that are 8' long & 4' high from a place in Idaho
before the proprietor passed on. As long as I assemble them in some form of
circle, they are resistant to horses putting their heads under the panels to
get grass on the other side and then lifting up. At the time, they only cost
$40/panel plus shipping.

My horse likes to rest his head on the top rail, something he can't do with
electric. Best of all, should other horses get loose in middle of the night,
I have fewer worries. But my horse does know how to stay in electric if need
be - I'm glad a situation finally arose where he got trained for that. In
our first years of competing at NATRC rides, I had no option but to tie my
horse to the trailer overnight, so he really appreciates any type of corral
these days.