[RC] carbon monoxide or lack of oxygen? - Dawn Simas

Let me see if I have this straight:

Open flame heaters (like my Zodi tent heater) = emit carbon monoxide
Catalytic heaters (like the Mr. Heater and Black Cat tent heater) = consume oxygen

Therefore a detector isn't going to help you with a catalytic heater, right?  Just be sure to vent a window.

If your heater has a *flame*, then it should not be in the area where you are unless properly designed with a sealed vented box (like an LQ/RV).

With my Zodi (which is designed to be outside the tent and pipes safe warm air in with a hose with a fan), I put the heater in my dressing room and turn on the ceiling fan to pull out the carbon monoxide.  I had a friend put a hole in the bulkhead wall for the hose and I sleep in the horse area (no fumes).  :)

Ms. Dawn Simas
Director - Wild About Cats
Wild Feline Conservation, Education, and Rescue