[RC] Answer to my Tipperary Vest question - Martha Clausen

Okay my fellow riders...here is the answer from the Tipperary folks on ASTM vests.

Hugs...Martha

Martha,

Depending on which model you purchased, there will be a different answer to your question.

The Tipperary Eventer vest - our most popular model - was tested to the Beta Level 7 standard. This is an old British standard that has been replaced now by the BETA 2000 standard. The new BETA 2000 standard is divided into 3 levels (Level 1 being the lowest, and Level 3 being the highest protection). There is no way to equate the old Beta 7 to any of the new levels. BETA is actually the British Equestrian Trade Association.

In North America we only have one standard for equestrian protective vests. It is the ASTM (American Society for Testing Materials) standard. Unfortunately, the standard is so stringent in its requirements that the resulting vests are very heavy, hot, stiff and restrictive. We do offer an ASTM approved vest, the Air Esprit. Our Air Esprit is 30% lighter than other ASTM approved vests on the market, but it is still thick and stiff.

The #1015 Eventer vest is used across North America, and can be seen on 3-Day Eventing riders riding cross country up to the Olympic level. There is no governing body in North America that requires riders to wear ASTM approved vests. This is because they recognize that these vests are very inhibitive to the athlete.

We like to compare it to making a construction worker wear a motorcycle helmet. It will be effective in protecting him in an accident, but he will probably quit it he is forced to wear one!

Being an endurance rider, you will need to have a lightweight and flexible vest that allows you to stay cool and comfortable for hours in the saddle. We are seeing more and more endurance riders wearing vests, and in particular they seem to like our model #1035. This vest was originally designed for harness racing drives, but we are also seeing it on mounted jockeys, polo players, race track gate crews, endurance and competitive trail riders. I have attached some pictures for you. The vest is extremely light at about 9oz. and is constructed out of a new foam that is similar in nature to the foam used inside riding helmets. This allows it to have a high impact resistance while remaining lightweight and low-profile.

Phoenix is currently working with scientists and research groups in California to write a new ASTM standard that would better address the needs of the athlete. Stay tuned to our website for updates, but the development of a new standard takes about a year.

Lise Gagnon

Marketing/Sales Coordinator

Phoenix Performance Products
6955 Columbus Rd.