Re: [RC] snakes - L gin

Angie, send me some snakes!!!UPS, maybe a dozen or so!!!--- I was out clearing vines and neighbor dogs were out of their pen, they came over --Rott/lab something and boxer/pit ? and they strted digging furiously, I yelled at them to quit digging holes in my pastrue to be, and chased them off a bit. I went over and was going to kick the dirt back in the hole, (3 actually ) 18"X10" X 12 " deep. At the bottom there was a perfectly round hole about 3" straight down, --yup---my bet is it's a snake hole, Have found at least 4--and my son who is now an EMT/Fireman in the county, keeps telling me about the rattle sankes they've shot , that crawl into the firestation bay at night when the doors are up. The neighbors said to be careful they had a 3 ft. rattlesanke crawl into their garage. I have already accidently stepped on a small snake at dusk as I was coming back from feeding into the garage . After that I usually close the garage doors --figuered it was seeking a warm place as it was fall and gettting chilly. The other neigbor says watch for the copperheads, she killed one with a hoe last year on her drive. When it is cold and I have been working outside I don't worry too much, except I kick things before I pick them up-- but a warm spell is upon us,a nd don't think I'll be traipsing thru the heavy tall grass this week.
Oh, and yesterday I vainly filled the 4 holes with large rocks and dirt--wishful thinking--probably- I am really concerned when I get the other pasture fenced, cause their is lots of brush/log- piles--perfect habitat- Not for me, I used to build trails on Lookout Mtn.--- but for the horses.......

Just cleaning out my in-box (holiday :-) and skimming some of the "snakes" posts. Nobody seems to differentiate between "good snakes" and "bad snakes". The first thing you need to learn is which snakes are good. I have two 4' long black snakes that live in or near my barn. I love them because they are COPPERHEAD & RATTLESNAKE REPPELLENT! Black snakes will kill poisonous snakes and will eat their eggs. I have lived here 15 years now and I have seen many black snakes. I have never seen ONE poisonous snake. They also eat mice and can get up under the hay palletes where the barn cats can't go. They don't hurt a thing and once you bother to learn the difference they dont' look anything like the poisonous snakes. If you kill the black snakes those barn mice will draw poisonous snakes.There is also a $1,000 fine in the state of GA for killing a black snake. It's a very bad habit to group all snakes together. I'm in North Ga. at the southern edge of the Appalachians so I'm guessing your area will have some similarities.

Angie

Play Flexicon: the crossword game that feeds your brain. PLAY now for FREE.? http://zone.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmtagline