Re: [RC] Bit or bridle suggestions needed - Truman Prevatt

Linda Winkel wrote:
I am trying to figure out what bit to use with AJ my gelding. I use an eggbutt snaffle right now but he tends to lean on the bit more than he should. I am thinking about a harsher bit for the endurance rides so I have more control of him when he is not right in the head with excitement. I also wasn't sure about a hackamore.
I also have the problem of when he shakes his head really hard he shakes the bridle off both of his ears:eek: I have a bridle path but that does not seem to work. Any suggestions.
He is soft at the pole but when he thinks he should not stop he leans into the bit and resists the pressure.
Looking forward to some suggestions.
Linda
I ride a very forward and very excitable Arab - have so for 10 years. I ride him in a Myler comfort snaffle. It's not because this is a "miracle bit" it is not - it is because he has a good foundation in training to know what the bit is about and he understands the communication between me (the rider) and him (the horse).

I doubt very seriously if your problem is the bit. I suspect it is the communication between the horse and rider. I had a very good riding instructor one time - an ex Grand Prix eventer - who said "You can get a bit so sever you can break the horse's jaw but that won't stop him and you could still die. The bit doesn't stop him - the communication between the horse and rider does." She was right.

I suggest stepping back and doing some serious training - even if it means the arena - to establish better communications with the horse. Even when I was riding the Hell Bitch I did it in a mullen mouth snaffle - she was extremely forward and had a will and an agenda but she knew how to listen and she did. It was at times a negotiation (but she was a mare) but we came to terms so each of us could live ( I mean that literally) with - and we did it using a mild bit.

Truman

--

“Since when have we Americans been expected to bow submissively to authority and speak with awe and reverence to those who represent us?” Justice William O. Douglas