Re: [RC] [RC] Best GPS options for riding - Keith Kibler

One note on the garmin as to both the forerunner and the foretrex. My wife has the foretrex and I had the forerunner. I said "had" because it fell off my arm in cold weather yesterday and I spent hours looking for it with another rider to no avail.
The velcro wrist bands are not as good as the watchs.
Keith
April wrote:

Hi, Mike,

Unfortunately, Garmin does not have any mapping units that mount on the wrist. However, the Forerunner screens are probably too small for that to be practical anyway.

The Forerunners have a Back To Start feature where the unit will direct you back exactly the way you came. Or you can be sure and mark your truck and the unit will show you the way to your truck in a straight line.

Unless there are roads through the area you are going to ride in, the maps will only be able to show you if there is a mountain or a valley between you and the truck if you're cutting cross country. That's the topo maps. The street maps wouldn't help you at all in that respect.

You can check out what the maps actually provide in your area by going to Garmin's web site. http://www.garmin.com/cartography/ontheTrail/ Choose a map from the drop down list on the right hand side under Map Viewer and you can see exactly what maps are available.

What would help is to ride the trails and keep the old tracks on your unit. That way you can see where other trails are in relation to where you are. The Forerunner units can't do that, though. You'd need a different GPS to do that. The 60Cx will do that, but it's rather expensive. One of the Foretrex units probably does this, but they don't have the good GPS chip in them yet.

On the Forerunner, you could mark major trail intersections as way points and have those viewable on the map screen so you could see those in relation to where you are.

You could always buy both units! ;-)

April
Nashville, TN
http://www.tracetribute.com