[RC] Eastern Mojave - Day 2 - Merri Melde

EASTERN MOJAVE DAY TWO

No wind this morning, a mild 56*, and clouds covering the sunrise for 87
riders. This morning when Gretchen and I were walking Spice and Raffiq to
limber them up, we ran into Jane and Scamp, and Jackie and Odyssey. Odyssey!
Raffiq stopped in his tracks and whinnied to his buddy. They walked on, and I
had to drag Raffiq along after Spice, because he wanted to go with Odyssey.

As Gretchen and I walked to the start, we again ran into Jackie and Jane, and
hooked up with them, so Raffiq was one happy camper. We cruised away from base
camp across Shadow Valley heading toward the Mescal Range, through more
spectacular cactus and Joshua tree forests. The first hour flew by at a steady
trot, with just our group of 5 or so, and 4 others in front of us. You?d think
you could see forever in the desert, but it?s funny how you can completely lose
90 (or 130) riders in the desert and feel like you are riding along out there.

We started heading up Chevy Canyon on an old pack trail, used by a lost Chinese
miner when he went the wrong way a long time ago. As the trail climbed up, the
scenery expanded, cool rock formations, winding canyons, juniper forests. We
climbed up to Blue Buzzard pass, which gave us a great view of the valley
behind us and the Piute Valley before us that we were to cross.

Scamp and Odyssey had gotten far enough in front of us to be lost from sight,
and as we headed back down the mountain past some old mines, once we hit the
valley, Raffiq was on a mission. He knew Odyssey was somewhere ahead, and he
was going to catch up, no matter what my opinion was. We cantered along till we
caught up with them.

The trail wound around through more Joshua tree and juniper forests, old mines,
and the New Era Mining District ? some old mining ruins and shacks, and some
inhabitable shacks ? reminded us of Darwin, the old mining town in the Panamint
mountains we ride through on the Death Valley ride. Climbing back up another
pass, we headed back down into the Shadow valley where we came to the lunch
stop at Cross Rocks, a popular hiking area.

Raffiq and Spice had been pulling us along, feeling strong, but after an almost
an hour of resting and eating, Spice looked a bit uncomfortable. Belly ache? We
weren?t sure, so we hung around lunch for another half hour. She seemed fine,
so we decided to continue on back to camp about 25 miles away, but taking it
slow, walk the whole way if need be.

It was a beautiful day to take it slow and absorb the scenery ? cool but not
cold, pleasantly breezy but not Windy as Hell like yesterday. We passed a lot
of hikers leaving lunch. I?m not sure what they thought of having to step aside
(or let us pull over) for some 80 horses, coming at them a few at a time. We
traversed Cima Dome, 3 miles of it, before heading back down to the valley and
toward camp on some of the same trail we?d ridden yesterday. We let Spice set
the pace ? walk when she felt like it, trot when she felt like it. The further
we went along, the better they both felt, pulling us along.

The last ten miles or so we ended up riding with Julie and Michael Elias from
Arizona. Our horses crossed the finish line with a half hour left (it was a
55-mile ride today) before another beautiful desert sunset.

Another 50 miles for the Raven!

Merri

(http://www.endurance.net/rides/2007EastMojave/)