Re: [RC] [RC] Best GPS options for riding - April

Hi, Mike,

For trail mapping and being able to have maps on the unit, you're
looking at $325 + the cost of your maps. The Garmin GPSMap 60Cx is a
good unit that takes a card and load Topo or Street maps on. If you
get street maps, you can also use this unit to auto-route to ride
camps in your truck! This unit has the new SiRF GPS chip in it that
gives very good satellite reception in wooded areas that older
receivers would choke in. I wouldn't buy a unit these days that didn't
have that chip in it.

If you're ok with just seeing a bread crumb trail of where you've
been, the Garmin Forerunner 305 and 205 units are nice wrist units.
These are also fitness units and have lots of good features for
training purposes in addition to being useful for mapping trails and
getting back to your truck if you get lost. The Forerunner units have
a $50 rebate on them right now, which means you can pick up a 205 for
around $140-$150 after rebate. The 305s run about $80 - $100 more and
have a heart rate monitor as well as the ability to have a cadence
unit for a bike and soon a foot pod unit for track or treadmill
running. The Forerunner 305 and 205 units both have the new good SiRF
reception chips in them.

Good luck in your search,
April
Nashville, TN