[RC] Starting the middle aged horse in distance riding - Kim Huck - Sharon Hahn

Kim, my mare started at 13.  She has done full seasons of UMECRA competitive trail ever since and is now 22 and did her first 50 miler this fall.  My friend's gelding Sadat is a few years older and won UMECRA "rider's choice" award a few years ago.  The regular exercise keeps 'em limber and young.  I think starting an older horse in distance riding can be a real advantage as their bones and muscles are already fully developed, and they've probably done years of long slow distance already by virtue of having been used as trail or pleasure horses or whatever.  They also tend to be more experienced at life and may take things like being tied overnight or having strangers feel their legs more in stride.