From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Tracey Lomax
Sent: Fri 2007-02-16 01:01
To: 'Diane Trefethen'; 'Ridecamp'
Subject: RE: [RC] [RC] pregnant and riding

Diane wrote:

>>That's easy.  Their business is lives and THEY think that puts them one
step away from the Big Boss Himself.  As such, clearly THEY know what's
better for us mere mortals than we could possibly know for ourselves.

As an attorney, and therefore a mortal enemy of any doctor, I would love to
agree with this statement but I think it's a little unfair.

The reason is simple : riding is DANGEROUS, pregnant or not.  A doctor needs
to warn against it for that reason.  His PI insurance would be loathe to
cover him if he didn't.

Doctors warn against many things which patients ignore - that doesn't mean
doctors are wrong.  It's called freedom of choice.

I rode until three days before Jaime was born (I had to ride bareback
towards the end.  And I rode on TOC - it was the only time he was remotely
reliable.  That doesn't mean that it's not hazardous to mother and baby.  I
know of a woman who died of a broken neck when her horse tripped over a pole
on the ground and flipped over.  It happens.  Mine was a high-risk pregnancy
following a number of miscarriages and my decision to ride was based on the
fact that I had previously been careful and lost the babes anyway.

--
04:17 PM