[RC] freeform saddles - Juli Bechard

Ok, I need a hand from all you freeform fans out there. I stopped into our resident tack store today to pick up some thrush medication for Al’s feet (this wet/dry/wet/dry thing is killing me!), and they had a used freeform saddle for sale.

I couldn’t resist myself, it’s now in my tack room being tested on Alpine.  But I’m not 100% sure how this saddle is supposed to fit.  I put it on Alpine today, and it seems to fit him snugly.  I rode him for three miles with a toklat coolback pad under the saddle, and his normal breast collar.

Alpine wasn’t fussy, he didn’t say “ouch” about the saddle being on.  I mounted from a block, but I’m impressed that the saddle didn’t slide at all mounting.  Alpine was spooky, but that’s not unusual, especially with today brisk temperature.  Alpine moved well, he was forward without being quick.  He was holding his speed without me having to play tug of war, which is unusual.  He kept his head a very natural position.  His gait was very smooth, and he was extending out in gait very well, even cantered a couple of times. His lateral movement was much improved, and his canter seemed…more together, and easier for him to do.  He did put his head down a few times, but I couldn’t figure out if he was going “ahhh!  That feels great!” or “much more of this and my back will be sore”.

Once I pulled the saddle, he was wet under the cantle, and where my butt hit the saddle, also around the panels.  He was dry where my legs sit, not necessarily where the main amount of my weight sits.  His back wasn’t sore with me poking it, no unusual heat or swelling or hair mussing.

I have the saddle until Monday, so I can do some nice long rides this weekend and see how it works for Alpine.  But I’m not familiar with treeless saddles at all, so is the snug fit normal?  Is the sweat pattern normal, or is it something I should worry about.  Is the coolback pad ok to use, or should I be putting my skito inserts under it.

Anyway, thank you very much for any freeform advice you can offer…

Juli and the Herd

Alpine (hmm…do I like the new saddle or do I not)

Merlin (is it edible?)