[RC] feed preference with a question added - Kathie Ford

I used to feed my horses the various LMF products which I liked. However, once my endurance mare was out more it wouldn't hold her weight. She is fed free-choice hay in and out most of the time.

I then switched her (only her) to the Ultium. It held her weight well thru summer. However, I had only finances to only 1 50 last year, but did continue to ride her a few times a week. One of those rides being 20-30 miles in various terrain. Her weight still held, infact she gained a bit. She stayed very fit and is still very strong.

However, now I'm riding her an extra day a week and her weight is slightly dropping. Her body always wants to go into this "streamline" mode. Looks like a racehorse body, but I personally like to still have that reserve on her. He appetite is still very good and totally enjoys going out anywhere. So I know the drop is the work since I have stepped things up a bit.

Thus, my question. I don't really like to feed a lot of concentrates and do like to keep things simple.

I feed her about 3c of Ultium on the days she's worked. No Ultium on non-working days, but she does get beet pulp with some rice bran on her off days. Is it possible I'm not feeding her enough?
I also add some wheatgerm oil but I have to watch that as she's picky. So have add small amounts to her feed.

I also give her some beet pulp separately several times a week as well. Loose salt, trace minerals and as much hay as she wants. But she does have to share with the others as she's in a herd situation. Therefore, I do pull her out and give her a little more feed (grass hay) by herself.

I'm thinking I am not feeding her enough Ultium with the extra work.

She's not thin by any means, but as I mentioned I want that reserve on her always.

All thoughts welcome.

kathie