[RC] Differences in Horse Strength - Bruce Weary DC

Hi Dave--
Yes, you can have a biopsy done to determine what amount of which muscle fibers your horse has. I'm no expert, so I would ask your vet. I think the sample is usually taken out of the hamstring or gluteal muscles. I have read some literature that suggests that some muscle fibers can "morph," or literally change their characteristics in response to different types of conditioning. There is a principle called "Demand and Supply" that says, essentially, tissue responds specifically to a specific demand. For example, let's say you took two twin boys, and, at age 14 taught one of them to lift weights, and the other to run long distances. When they reach the age of 18, and you stand the two of them together, you'd easily be able to tell the runner from the weight lifter. So, horses (and people) have certain in-born traits, which can be enhanced to differing degrees with different types of conditioning.
I think horses of all types benefit from "cross-training." For example, endurance horses benefit from the occasional sprint as well as hundreds of miles of trotting. They benefit from hill work as well as sand work. My theory is a cross-trained horse makes a more well rounded athlete, and possibly less prone to injury/breakdown. I can't prove it, though. Dr Q