[RC] Weight of horse and rider - sherman

Phil, you just don’t know how thrilled I am to hear this about your little mare. I have a 4 yr old, 13.2 (almost.3) Arab/mustang filly that I’d hoped to be my endurance horse someday. I know I’ve heard it before that her size is fine, I’ve worried a little about my weight being too much for her. Including tack & full water bottles, we’re around 170, so I’ll keep working on her and seee what happens. I’ve met you at the Overlook a couple times last year, but I was riding a different horse then. I think my little filly is probably the smallest horse I’ve seen out on the trails between Auburn & Cool, she’s a really (really!) cute little bay, with a big white blaze… so say “hi” if you see us!

Kathy

Grass Valley, CA

Phil wrote:

You would think this would be true.  I am 6-1 and my horse usually carries around 225 lb.  I am 62 and have done endurance since I was 18.  One of the best horses I have ever had was a little Arab mare who was 13-3 hands and weighed 700lb.  The proportion of my weight to hers was way out of whack, but she carried me with ease on 50’s, out performing my 15+ hand horses.