RE: [RC] Weight of horse and rider - Phil Gardner

Heidi Helly said:

> Besides that, to make it truly fair, the weight of the horse in

> proportion to the rider would have to be used to be fair.

> A heavyweight on an 1100 lb. mount is better off than me on my 14.1

> hand pony sized guy who weighs 750 !

You would think this would be true.  I am 6-1 and my horse usually carries around 225 lb.  I am 62 and have done endurance since I was 18.  One of the best horses I have ever had was a little Arab mare who was 13-3 hands and weighed 700lb.  The proportion of my weight to hers was way out of whack, but she carried me with ease on 50’s, out performing my 15+ hand horses.

There are so many factors that go into performance on an endurance ride; the natural athletic ability of the horse and rider, training, feed, how each individual is feeling on that day, temperature, horsemanship skills of the rider, mental stability under pressure (for both horse and rider), weight carried, and the list goes on and on.  Why single out weight for special consideration.  I have seen 100’s where the top five riders were all heavy weights.  After 44 years of endurance riding my gut feeling is that factors other than weight carried have the most influence how well you do.

The thing that made endurance so attractive to me was that it was a sport where your performance was what counted.  When you finished a ride it was a real accomplishment, not just someone’s opinion of your performance.  I would like to see AERC get back to its roots.

Phil Gardner