Re: [RC] Weight Divisions--equal? - Susan

Since when is anything "equal" in a competition?  What does it matter if there are the same number of riders in each weight division?  I've heard about the awards meaning something (my jackets mean a lot to me...please don't tell me how I feel!); to follow that reasoning, do away with weight divisions all together.

Where are the stats from?  Membership?  Have you noticed that much of the membership doesn't ride or if they do they don't ride much.  What I've noticed is that there are year-end awards all the way down the placings for each weight division.  There are plenty of riders who ride enough to place in the regional standings annually.

If you're trying to save money for AERC, re-sizing (pun intended) the weight divisions won't help at all because you'll still be awarding the same number of jackets.  So, it all boils down to being "equal"?  Please!  This is endurance where nothing is equal.  The "50" miler I do in Oklahoma is no where equal to the "50" someone else does in a different region.  The mileage can be substantially different, the terrain is different, our horses' abilities are different, the riders' abilities are different...there is nothing equal in this sport.

Furthermore, we'd have to change the weight divisions in the future to reflect the membership at that time.  There could be more and more members in one weight division and change the entire demographics.  What then?  Change?  Sure...let's mess everything up again.

Michael Maul <mmaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This may not come out with nice easy to remember numbers but would
make competing in a division more equal.

Semper Obliquo (Always aside),
Susan [Young], The Princess of Pink
Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.
"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)