RE: [RC] Time and Money to do this Sport - Kristen A Fisher

I am fortunate now to be self-employed, but even if I were still at my old
job, I think I could still make it work. I had 3 weeks of vacation I think,
but even if you only had 2 = 10 days, you could space that over quite a few
rides. Say you do 4 one-day rides and take 4 Fridays off, leaving you with 6
days. You could do 3  2 day rides and take the Fri & Mon off for travel.
That's 7 rides [and possibly 10 completions].

Also, you may want to explore flex time for holidays as well as regular
work. We always had a large conference in the spring that I was involved
with planning, so we would work through MLK Day & Prez Day and be able to
take those 2 days elsewhere. It was manager's discretion on whether to allow
that so it may be worth exploring. You may also be able to negotiate working
4-10s vs 5-8s. If it's time for a raise, you may want to negotiate getting
more vacation than more salary. Some companies will entertain these
negotiations and some won't so if yours won't, you may want to consider
changing to a company that will be more flexible.

One thing I need to add about being self-employed is that while you don't
have to clear the time off with anyone, I have had to skip rides due to
client requirements. So it's not like you are obligation-free by being
self-employed -- you have to make hay while the sun shines and think about
long-term client relationships when you decide to tell them you are
unavailable or why you can't meet a deadline or handle a new project.

Also, when you are self-employed EVERY vacation day is an UNPAID vacation
day. If you take a week off, it's not like drawing a salary where you still
get paid for that week anyway. Since I have been self-employed I have only
taken one real vacation for a week, and that was right after I bought the
first horse. The rest is a few days here and there, and at the opportunity
cost of the revenue for the days. And when business is slow and it's
convenient to take a vacation, you worry do much about where the next income
will come from, you don't take a vacation :)

Kristen in TX