Re: [RC] [RC] Blood Glucose for Horses - Don Huston

Hi Patti,
Thanks for the link, I read quit a bit of it, very hard material for a layman. We sure lost a great mind when Tom Ivers died. I am still using 2 meters and still getting consistent readings on both meters but still 20 points apart on average. After 8 hrs of no food the glucose readings are 60's & 80's. I was using one of the meters incorrectly for a few days and both meters were getting the same readings....60's. Now I'm back to 20 points apart. The problem was in how I put the blood on the test strip. AccuCheck tech support says the test strip must touch the skin when getting the blood, I didn't know that, I was touching the strip to the top of the blood drop with the AccuCheckActive meter which lowered the readings for some reason. The AccuCheckAviva strips are different and you have to touch the skin to use them and it consistently gives a reading 20 points lower than the Active. I am going to have blood drawn by the vet, test it with my meters, have it sent to a lab for a complete blood panel and see how the glucose readings compare. The vet says he will spin the blood right away then it sets in a cold pack till evening, then shipped somewhere up north and tested sometime the next day. This seems to be the best that San Diego has to offer. Do you think the results will be reliable with that much time delay or does it not matter? Thanks,
Don Huston