RE: [RC] [RC] Time and Money to Do This Sport... getting philosophical - Jennifer Adam

I have wanted to "get serious" about endurance for the last eight years... but life got in the way. Last year I thought I had the horse and the opportunity to make my official debut - so to speak - in endurance, but my horse had other ideas. In the meantime, I've had *lots* of time to ask questions, read, research, and observe.

First and most important lesson I've learned: Every Rider Must Define Success For Themselves. For some success is completion, for others it's a best condition, for others it's a first, for others it's simply a good time or any combination of the above. If you cannot "succeed" based on your situation and limitations of time or money or whatever, maybe your definition of success must be adjusted to fit your current circumstances. You can always adapt your definition as things change.

That said, if your idea of success is to finish in the top ten and be competitive, then in my very humble and inexperienced opinion, the people who finish consistently in the top ten don't necessarily have the most time and money to spend on the sport - though perhaps a few do - but they are the ones *willing to sacrifice the most* in order to "succeed" in the sport. If you want to compete at the FEI level, GO FOR IT. But realize that you MUST sacrifice other things to do so.

How do I fit my horses in with my time constraints and on a limited budget? Easy - I make them a priority. My children (luckily!) love horses and I can include them with my horse activities. My house is a mess - but my saddle and saddle pads are in my family room so I can clean them while the kids do their homework. My bridle and breastcollar hang from the coat hooks in the hall so I can grab them and go. Many meals are from the crock pot or a box because I just can't stand wasting an hour in the kitchen to make supper. We cut corners in our household budget anywhere we can - that way we can spend more on the horses. I wake up early and stay up late to fit in as much as possible in a day that's always too short. If I wanted to be a serious competitor, I could rush out and spend a fortune on a "ready made" horse, spend all my time training, and go for it - but I'm not willing to make the necessary sacrifices for that particular definition of success.

Someday - hopefully this year - I'll cross the line on a horse I gentled, trained, and conditioned myself and my family will be there to cheer. I'll feel like a winner - even if I'm the last one in.

Good luck with your goals,
Jen Adam

Laugh, share and connect with Windows Live Messenger http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwme0020000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://imagine-msn.com/messenger/launch80/default.aspx?locale=en-us&source=hmtagline