Re: [RC] Towing with an SUV - Truman Prevatt

Jennifer,

When I started I didn't live more than 10 miles as the crow flies from where you live. I had an International Scout - very short wheel base - almost like a Jeep. I did fine. I got a bigger trailer (2 horse straight load with a 4 foot dressing room) and it did fine, although I did have to put air shocks on it. I got a pick up when we got a goose neck. It all depends on what your trailer. The problem with the Scout was the wheel base - it was shorter than most SUV's built today.

One key is wheel base. The shorter the wheel base the more issues you will have. If you get an SUV get one built on a truck chassis vs. one built on a car chassis. Make sure you have the brakes to stop a trailer and the weight (and wheel base to control it). Beef up the engine, transmission and suspension.

You can get stabilizer bars and air shocks which would help if needed. The thing you have to consider is the size (particularly wheel base ) of your trailer would be limited.

As far as hurricane evacuation - I lived in Sarasota for 13 years and we never had to evacuate. If you live inland - you'll be fine - but if you can wrangle a tow vehicle because of it that is great :-) .

Truman

Jennifer Fleet wrote:
Hi all,

Hubby and I are looking for a new "car" and I finally have the opportunity to get something that I can actually use to get myself to rides and stop being a mooch. :) Also, since I recently moved to FL, I realize I need my own rig in case of hurricane evacuation. Eeek!

The catch is, it has to be an SUV, not a pickup - for various reasons. One of which, is that I'd like to sleep in it at rides. Other reasons are that my husband would also use it for work sometimes when he needs extra seating, I would like to be able to have my dog in the car safely (not in the bed of a truck). The list goes on.

I was wondering if anybody here tows successfully (and safely) with any of the following: Chevy Tahoe, Ford Expedition, Cadillac Escalade (hubby's pick, not mine), or a Toyota Sequoia (my favorite, looks-wise).

I don't want something as big as a Suburban, as this will also have to do double duty as my regular car. I plan on towing nothing larger than a two or three-horse steel stock-type trailer, with one or two horses. The third slot will be for hay, and other stuff needed to camp.

We would, of course, get the best tow package possible on any of the SUVs I mentioned.

I'm just wondering how they stack up in terms of towing safety, reliability, comfort, and convenience (for instance, someone told the seats in the Sequoia don't fold flat - that will make it hard to sleep in the back, and to haul stuff in the back that need a flat cargo space).

Thanks for any recommendations....and I'm sure I'll hear the usual "you need at least an F250" but I can't go there. :(

Jennifer

--

“Since when have we Americans been expected to bow submissively to authority and speak with awe and reverence to those who represent us?” Justice William O. Douglas