[RC] Update on my lumpy ponies - Juli Bechard

Thank you to everyone who replied about my swollen-necked horses last night.  I think I worry about my ponies too much sometimes!

I spoke with the vet last night who wasn’t too concerned about my guys having strangles, they had no fever, and were happy, hungry ponies, other than looking like someone tied a towel around their necks that is. She thought maybe we had a virus or something, but recommended no treatment unless they showed some other symptoms.

This morning at 5:30am, I trotted out to the barn with my big, bright flashlight, and to my amazement, both the swollen ponies were not swollen anymore, and furthermore, were very annoyed with me because I was shining a flashlight at them and checking their noses as opposed to feeding them.

I called the vet again this morning, and she seems to think they got into something that is causing them to react. So I left the guys in the sand lot with a lot of hay, and will walk the pasture tomorrow looking for anything not normally there, new weeds, something blooming, etc.

This evening, Alpine and Shoney lymph nodes are maybe slightly swollen, and Merlin has one that is.  The low mare on the totem pole who isn’t allowed to do anything unless the others aren’t paying attention is perfectly fine, so I’m kind of betting on something they have eaten.

They are 100% normal otherwise.  I bought a bale of perennial peanut hay tonight, which they have never seen before, and gave everyone a handful, and they are snarfing it up like it’s candy.  So they don’t feel too bad….

Juli and the lumpy ponies

Alpine and Merlin (who are enjoying their first taste of peanut hay—and may get it more because we are having a grass hay shortage around here)