[RC] Concerning clips - Phil Gardner

As an amateur shoer I have shod my horses and a few friends’ horses for 40 years.  I consider clips good insurance to cut the risk of losing a shoe on the trail.  Like anything else, they are not applicable in all cases and can be improperly used.  I prefer side clips to toe clips as it is easy to place the shoe to far forward with toe clips.  Toe clips should never be used on a hind foot. The downside of clips is that if the horse steps on a shoe and pulls it off he is more likely to pull a section of wall off with the shoe.  Also, you have to be careful in removing a shoe with clips for the same reason.  A clipped shoe should be pulled very carefully pulling individual nails when possible instead of just yanking the shoe off.  Another problem is that it is possible to burse lamina when the clips are set.  Overly aggressive pounding when setting then should be avoided.

Phil Gardner