[RC] 20-Mule Team 100 - part 8 (finally the end) - Aaron Turnage

I woke up after only about 2-3 hours of rest.  I laid in bed and tried to will myself back to sleep but it would not come for some elusive reason.  I got up and took Sinatra for a walk, letting him roll and roll as he so wanted to.  He didn?t exhibit any of the weird stumbling from the prior night, which I was grateful for.  We went to awards at 9 am and found out that 24 out of 40 had completed the 100.  I was VERY HAPPY to hear that Sarah and Sierra had received a completion as well, their first 100.  Sarah had worked very hard to ensure her mare would make it through the end and had probably walked 15 of the last 35 miles on foot.  Sierra had been tight but after some massage trotted out well enough to pass.  They actually only finished about 10 minutes behind me.  Sarah can walk quickly and Sierra was motivated to keep going once Sinatra had disappeared into the night.  After awards my mom and I had some breakfast and then cleaned up camp.  I debated about trying to take a nap before driving home but just could not sleep when I tried.  I decided to just drive as far as I could and then would pull over and sleep for a while when necessary.  I don?t really have camping accommodations with me (normally sleep in a tent at rides) so would have to just rest in the truck.  I took a shower in my mom?s RV and then we left together.  I was kind of dreading the 330 mile drive home, but thanks to a great audiobook a friend lent me the time went fairly quickly.  I stopped every couple of hours to get Sinatra out and walk around.  In fact the Hall?s and I both pulled into Bridgeport at the same time and got the horses out.  I made it home in only 6.5 hours and didn?t have to stop to sleep at all, but was thankful I didn?t have to drive even 30 minutes more.  Sinatra ate and drank well the entire trip home, preferring his orchard grass hay to his alfalfa, definitely not the norm but I was happy to oblige him.  He got out and I couldn?t get the halter off fast enough before he went over and rolled and rolled and wiggled and scratched in the DG to his delight.  He looks great, my little 100-mile horse.

Thanks to those of you that read my whole saga.  The entire story is posted here in one part: