[RC] 20-Mule Team 100 - part 6 - Aaron Turnage

We walk the first little hill out of the check and then trot off and on, the highway crossing comes very quickly and we scoot across after waiting for a car to pass.  They had slowed down when they saw us on the side of the road and I can only imagine what they thought of two horses and riders standing on the side of 395 at 2:30 in the morning.  =)  We trot the next flat section along the highway and then make the left hand turn into the last set of hills to go over before we arrive back at camp.  After a little while, we realize we are off trail and can?t see any glowbars.  I turn on my headlamp and there are only tire tracks on this road, no hoofprints.  We have a very good idea of where we are, about where the trail should be and know where to head so we continue to follow the road.  It has more hills and rocks than the correct trail would, but it?s going the right direction so we continue on.  We?re up higher on the hill more, riding along the ridge top as opposed to down at the bottom where the right trail should be.  We keep our eyes peeled for glowbars but still don?t see any.  Several intersections come and go, we check most and debate about heading down towards town and trying to ride in from there or to continue on our present route.  We decided to do our best to follow where the trail ?should be? and keep riding forward.  Pretty soon Sarah sees a glowbar and we meet up with the correct route coming up the hill to join the road we were on.  Relieved, we make the turn and follow the right trail as it starts to head down through the hills toward town.

Sarah gets off to lead down the hill.  We?re both getting tired and quiet as the night goes on.  No longer laughing, joking and telling stories.  Each lost in our own ride and our own thoughts.  I?m enjoying how beautiful Sinatra looks in the moonlight.  His coat is dark and glowing back at me while his white markings seem to shine with an inner light of their own.  He is still forward and willing to move out.  Just a gentle squeeze and a kiss will get him moving.  I feel the night air and find it interesting how we will ride into cooler and warmer patches depending upon how the currents flow through the hills and valleys.  It was a beautiful day for a ride, warm and sunny without a cloud all day or night and not windy nor too cold as these desert nights can be.  Last year the riders were in the dark and snow, tonight it is a clear shining sky with a full moon to light our way.  I?m starting to get sleepy and a little sour in my stomach, just ready to be done and I know Sinatra must be to.