RE: [RC] Feeding hay on the ground - David LeBlanc

I saw a study summarized in Equus where they established pretty clearly a
connection between feeding on sandy soil and other approaches, and I think
they went as far as to look at groups of horses fed on sand and those fed
from feeders, but also kept on sand. The woman I rented from when I was
working in CO (near Boulder) fed hay in a sand lot, and she constantly had
problems with colics and impactions.

In terms of the water, I think the stuff that causes problems is coarse
enough that they don't get a lot in their water intake. The silt would just
pass through. When they're grazing, they're not usually eating all the way
down to the soil, like they do scavenging that last bit of hay.

I'd also suspect it may also have something to do with other factors, like
how much of other feeds are given, what the other feeds are, etc. Plus it
could just depend a lot on the horse - 1/2 our horses do fine with dry beet
pulp, the other 1/2 choke. If we'd only had the 1/2 that are fine, we might
be saying it's not a problem. Most of us don't have enough horses to make a
decent study. Like most things, if you feed on sand, you're more likely to
have this problem, but that could mean 1 out of 10 instead of 1 out of 30.
You might own the other 9 horses...

Something I'd look into if I lived in an area where it was much of a problem
would be something simple, like 4x6 stall mats - we have a couple of these
at the entrances to our barn, and sometimes use them to feed, mostly to keep
them out of the mud. That way they get their heads down, but they're not in
the dirt.