Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.4612 Mongolia - Chipnml

We have a veterinarian here in MN who has been going to Mongolia for many years to work with veterinary students there.  In one of his presentations I saw a few years ago, he said the tribesmen did not believe in giving their horses water the day before or the day after this race.  Obviously, many horses would become severely dehydrated, and the owners did not trust the vets enough to let them give IV fluids.  I'm not sure, since I haven't spoken with Dr. Juergens in a couple years, but the last time I did he said there had not been as many deaths since they've started convincing people to hydrate their horses better.  The horses in Mongolia, although highly prized, must live in extremely harsh conditions with very little access to water on a daily basis.  It is truly survival of the fittest, and while it seems horribly cruel to us, the horses that complete this race are the ones who can deal with these everyday conditions, and are the ones who will pass this hardiness on to subsequent generations.

Chip (who is driving out to where she boards her horses twice a day right now to bring them warm soaked food in this -15 F weather because they are her babies and she loves them and is very glad we don't live in Mongolia!)