RE: [RC] You should (was: agressive kicker) - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

I know Sal, about the nicest horse on earth, stallion or not, and I know it would take a lot of provocation to make him reactaggressively in any way.  Sorry I didn’t say so specifically in the previous comment, the comments were not addressed directly re Sal.  Under the circumstances, I still agree with Kat’s general comment that horses can’t think they are allowed to react to horses around them---but in your specific example, it was the other horse that should have gotten a swift DQ.  There’s a point at which you can hardly blame the poor guy.  Can’t condone it, but also can’t blame him.  Like everything else, the whole thing has to be taken in context, I suppose.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

From: SandyDSA@xxxxxxx [mailto:SandyDSA@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 8:42 AM
To: suendavid@xxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] You should (was: agressive kicker)

In a message dated 12/24/2007 9:00:17 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, suendavid@xxxxxxx writes:

she’s in season, he doesn’t like his butt being handled by strangers (probably shouldn’t be at an endurance ride ‘til he learns better, then, huh?), and being HANDLED had nothing to do with it. Read the post people. He was BITTEN not HANDLED. Sheesh. Frankly, the other stallion should never have been at a ride along with his passenger rider. Our guy has been three years on the show circuit, and multiple years in endurance and never had an issue except this one. That's the problem I think that prohibits it ever being solved - the blame is nevre placed right, and the aggressor continues his way while the target gets lambasted.

uh no, my horse was BITTEN IN THE ASS people! He NEVER minds his hiney being messed with - but being BITTEN? Yeah - wouldn't you? Anyone who knows Sal would jump right up and say, yeah, he would NEVER be the aggressor.

Sandy Adams
Deep Sands Arabians
www.deepsands.com

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.