[RC] Mike's continuing saddle search - tichenor06

Mike,

You said, "I just can't stand to abuse something that expensive by riding it through water, throwing it on the ground while hurrying to the vet check, etc.  :-)  "

I have had my Solstice since 6/02.  I have ridden in all of the above you have described, and then some, and for SURE tossed/dumped mine on the ground at the vet checks - since I ride with no crew.  I have a wide arab with a super short back, 14.2HH, 950#'s 44" girth , and a wide 15.3HH QH who weighs in at 1300#'s plus some and he wears a 54" Wintec Chafeless Girth, with an extender!   Both wear the wide gullets.  Both fit the same saddle - yeah.  It is deep but not overly deep.  Nice and secure.  If it gets wet, you stick like glue to the saddle.  This saddle has held up to alot of abuse, and riding.  However, I do take care of it just like I would anything I own of value.  Also the Solstice has a wider girth channel for better airflow, and larger underneath pads to spread the weight of the rider better - I forget what the width of them are sorry.

Only issue with the saddle, if you could call it an "issue", is that I started to have terrible knee pain.  Swapped to a different saddle, and the pain went from my knee to my upper back.  Well, it wasn't the saddle, nor the horse.  It was due to a crooked pelvis due to an old injury.  I am doing the chiro thing now, and I am on the mend.

The more you buy, and try, and re-sell, and it may hurt you and/or your horses back, those things add up $$ over time.  Not to mention the hassle factor of going through saddles.

There are also used ones available to purchase.  I would have them restuffed or checked to custom fit your horse if you get a used one.  But then again, get it checked to make sure it fits your horse in the first place like all saddles should be.

Laura, can't wait for the new year to come!