Re: [RC] [RC] agressive horse...defensive kicker? - Jessica Spoone-Raines

To me a defensive kicker would be a horse that kicked back when another horse kicked at them first. Any horse kicking first especially under saddle would be doing it under pure agression even if its purely fear based agression. And I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend but refusing to discipline a horse that puts somebody else in potential danger because "it will make the problem worse" is just stupid. I am not calling anybody stupid, mind you, I'm saying the theory behind that is stupid. If your horse is dangerous on the trail and you won't train them out of it then don't take them on the trail where they can hurt people. My horse decided a couple years ago to try biting any horse that came up alongside him. It was fear motivated because I rode with somebody that would repeatedly let their horse run into the back of him. I didn't put a ribbon in and call it a day, job well done. I took him out with a friend and her alpha mare and had her play leapfrog with me for hours on end on the trails while I taught him that it was not allowed. Guess what, today I have a horse that won't bite at people passing. That said ribbon or not, everyone should keep their horses out off the butts of the people in front of them. Its simply called good trail manners. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Feel free to email me privately and tell me what you think of me lol.
Jess Spoone-Raines