Re: [RC] [RC] agressive horse - Marirose Six

Howdy Marlene,

Ranelle has some good points, I would just like to add a few things:

  1. You DON'T need an arena to do arena exercises! I've trained horses/mules for years & have never had an arena (& I don't stay in the round pen very long). I've gotten them safe in the round pen & moved out to the trail. Then, I find a nice field for circle work--doesn't even need to be flat but that does make it a little tougher. I can leg yeild back & forth while going down the road or 2-track. Bending/reining exercises between, around, through trees/bushes. Work with what you have.
  2.Horses can easily be taught not to kick. (This is a HUGE peeve of mine--kicking is VERY dangerous.) When a horse 'thinks' about kicking, let him have it,with a crop, your feet, ends of long reins or a broken off tree branch. Do it immediately & be serious about it. You Do Not have to wait for a horse to start actually kicking before training them not to. Somebody might pay with a broken leg.------------So, all you riders out there with red ribbons in your tails, train your horses!-----------(Sorry, that was my soap box, nothing personal, Marlene :o))

--
Marirose

Yeeeeeee Hawwwww