[RC] Wintec 500 (or other saddles) - rides2far

What I do not like is that the seat is very deep; I think
that would be a liability for endurance rides where one must jump
ditches, etc.

I originally rode western. I switched to an English jumping saddle when I
started doing endurance. When I got my OF Express It paddled my butt
every time I jumped something. I thought the seat was terribly deep...but
got used to it in no time at all and now it's never a problem at all.

Does anyone beside Wintec make an English-style saddle for
Endurance, perhaps with stirrup bars a bit farther back than the
Wintec?

The stirrups on my saddle are just right for me in the small seat, but
too far forward in a larger seat. Maybe you could try the same saddle in
a smaller seat size?
One of the main reasons I got my OF was that my lower back was *killing*
me riding the English saddle. Turned out it was me leaning forward trying
to get over my feet. Oh yeah, it was also hurting my horse. :-P

My budget is somewhat limited (had intended to spend about
$550, but maybe around $1000 if I have to), and I'm leaning toward >
the 18"  Wintec Dressage 500, as I'm guessing folks will say that > the
Isabel is too deep.

To each his own. I *never* buy new since that's when the big drop in
value hits. I don't think I've ever lost money on a leather saddle.
Unless they get stolen and if you take care of them the value just goes
up while you own them and if you need to switch to another saddle if
you're lucky inflation has raised the value of your own saddle. I haven't
seen that with the synthetics. $550 used might get you a saddle that was
over   new.

Appeciate any advice.  Hate to think about trying specialty
endurance saddles due to shipping and time it takes to try several >
saddles and find one I like.  Maybe some of these specialty >
saddlemakers should come to rides!!

Rides are a great place to go around looking at saddles. Lots of folks
will be happy to let you sit on theirs and if they know you maybe even
try them with your horse. I don't know about other brands, but one thing
about the Ortho Flex that I've noticed is that many times the same model
is different in different years. They kept trying to improve them so it
was always changing. Mine & Josie's are the same saddle but they changed
trees and hers is heavier and sits differently. Of course we both think
*ours* is best.

Angie