Re: [RC] RE:wintec 500 - Mike Lewis

Thanks, Natalie.  From what I've heard you and others say, I think the Wintec could work, so will wait for a clear day (raining here) and try it for a little while longer.  The tack shop prefers folks give saddles only about 15 minute trial, so it is tough to really get a good feel for how ANY saddle will feel on trail or for longer periods of time.  I know some of my concerns stem from being spoiled to a saddle where equitation flaws might be somewhat hidden, so expect to undergo a transition period to improve my equitation.

Mike
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2007 2:08 AM
Subject: [RC] RE:wintec 500

<<<I looked at many used and new saddles today, and brought home a Wintec 500 Dressage to try with my horse. Have a week to decide to buy it.>>>

Well, the 500 is all I have been using for the last 3-4 yrs of riding. Did over 1000 miles this year alone in it. I like it a lot (not as much as my Freeform, but the horse I ride in endurance just has too high a wither for the FF so I use the 500 on him and the FF on my mare for LDs). I do use a full sheepskin on it (more for the stirrups being covered and the seat, as the 500 does not have the cushiest seat once you ride for more than a few hrs in it) but never had any problems with the edges. Am short legged though, so might not feel the edge cause there is no leg to rub :P It works great on my horse, but have been using it with an Equipedic pad, so not sure if it is the combo, or just the saddle that works. Mine has the interchangable gullets (great for seasonal shape changes) and the CAIR panels (kinda wish it were wool though, as I have had a few issues that MIGHT...not sure though....be related to the CAIR, but only a VERY few considering the mileage I put on it). I use a basic english style cantle bag (Sportack type) and that lets me put all I need on it since it has no rings. Did have to get a crupper T-bar attatchment as there is no crupper ring and get "d-savers" to attach breastcollar to the saddle. Other than that, it is great. The twist fits me perfectly, though I do have more knee issues in it than in my FF (though most saddles do that...I need a saddle that has as little as possible between my knees and the horse). I find it puts me in a great position (the BM and similar saddles always made me feel "chair seated") with my legs enough under me for balance, but just enough forward for good two pointing and posting (which I do a LOT of on this horse).
I would suggest you take it out on as close to a "real" ride as you can get (lots of mileage at an endurance pace) as that is the only REAL way to tell if it works for you. What feels great for one hour, might kill you after 3. a walk in it might be great, but posting might be a horror...and so forth.  But that goes for any saddle :)
   Natalie (going to DV and hopefully putting 200 more miles on it next weekend...)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming.... 'Wow! What a ride!' "

The best games are on Xbox 360. Click here for a special offer on an Xbox 360 Console. Get it now!