[RC] Horsekeeping in natural disasters - Dyane Smith

There have been so many weather extremes and other natural disasters around the country lately, I was wondering how people from the various parts of the country prepare for disasters that are common to their individual areas.

I know there have been some hair-raising stories of floods in Texas and fire in California, but I wonder if people have any special ways they prepare.  It would be nice if people could identify their general areas and tell what they do.

In my case, my horses have been through fire in So. Cal (evacuate as soon as you see smoke, if as in my case then, you don't have a trailer); earthquake also in So. Cal. (my horses weren't much bothered but I did know of a horse that was so upset he tried to jump his paddock fence and he got hung up); flooding in No. Cal.  (moved their shelter to higher ground which thank heavens I had).  Fire so far has me a little stymied because I live in a valley and there are only so many ways to get if a fire gets big enough.

Dyane