RE: [RC] Hay to keep warm - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

I had a discussion with my farrier the other day about
feeding extra hay to keep warm at night.  If the temps
drop below 25*, I will give my horses extra hay before
I go to bed at night.  Which will keep the horse
warmer:  alfalfa or grass hay?  I said the mere act of
eating (grass hay) is what keeps them warm, my farrier
said the higher protein in alfalfa will keep them
warmer.  If I feed the alfalfa at night, I can always
give them the grass in the morning.  So, at night,
which is best for warmth??

Well, you're both right, but your farrier is righter. :-)  Feeding extra
fiber in almost any reasonably digestible form does help bump up core
temperature just a little, as about 35% (it varies) of the energy in fiber
is thrown off as waste heat.  The pathway isn't as useful in horses as it is
in ruminants, like cows and sheep, as horses aren't as efficient at
digesting fiber, therefore don't produce the extra heat as by-product.  You
can keep ruminants warm in very cold weather with just straw or poor quality
forage, but because horses can't maintain core temperature very well on
that.

What works better is feeding some extra protein, which in most cases is
going to be alfalfa.  Protein is well digested, more efficiently than
structural carbohydrates (fiber), but not nearly as efficiently as
nonstructural carbs (sugars and starches).  The by-product of the digestive
process is 'waste' heat, which then helps support the maintenance of core
body temperatures.  I can't remember the exact numbers anymore, but I think
something like five pounds of alfalfa will raise core body temperature
around 1.25 degrees F for eight hours---it doesn't sound like much, but is
significant when you're talking core temperatures.  Feeding ten pounds won't
raise the temp higher than that, it would probably just maintain the temp
for a little longer.  The protein source doesn't have to be alfalfa---any
source of protein will do.

So some extra grass hay is useful, too, but some extra protein to produce
higher core temps is going to be your best bet.

Hope this helps.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM