RE: [RC] Hay to keep warm - Ranelle Rubin

Susan, my horses have hay in front of them 24/7. At night, they get a large flake of Teff (or any good quality forage hay) and a flake of alfalfa/grass mix. They typically have a small amt left in the am. If my horses have cleaned every morsel up before the last feeding in the winter, I increase the amount. They are grazers. I would not do this with a high protein or high carb hay that they will overeat though. In the am, they get a flake of Teff and a flake of 3-way grain hay.

I always put their favorite hay on top..they will eat if first anyway, so why give them an excuse to push the forage hay out of the feeder to get to the "good stuff". I watch them, and they will eat their favorite stuff first, walk away, then return several times during the day to finish off the forage.

Ask D'Arcy...my horse is in great flesh..solid, not fat, but well fed. And I do NOT have a barn, nor do I blanket. My horses have a covered shelter to eat in and get out of the rain..we have been just under freezing every night for a week.

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx