Re: [RC] Why shoot the dog? - Katy

I'll chime in....I think my city, Norco, California, has quite possibly the most lazy Animal Control officers in Southern California.  Many years ago a neighbor's dog kept coming into my backyard and attacking my dogs.  If I went outside the dog would turn and growl at me.  He was pretty scary.  I called Animal Control and got the run around, I found out where the dog lived and asked the owners to keep the dog in their yard...yeah right.  I finally told Animal Control I was going to shoot and kill the dog.  They told me it was against the law.  I told them I'd take my chances.  I'm not sure what happened but, the dog never showed up in my backyard again!

I have to be honest, if I lived in the country and couldn't find the owner and this dog continued to threaten me....I may have shot him.

Katy

Tx Trigger <txtrigger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Our county's animal control is part of the Sheriffs department. It is a joke. Even their own "shelter" was shut down by the state of Texas, due to it not being up to the standards set by the state. Call them for a nuisance dog, that were to chase, or even bite my horse as I might be out riding, and they are sure not gonna go talk to the owner.  Glad you live in an area Lisa, where they will respond, and handle the situation. But as mentioned, some rural areas, it just does not happen that way.

Neighbors dogs were attacking another neighbors donkey. I got the dogs off the donkey, and the donkey over to my place to start doctoring, waiting for his owner to get there. He had rips and tears of flesh from one end to the other. The dogs were doing it for sport. They'd bite, and run, bite and run. Should have seen this poor donkeys little bloody shredded nose. Once a dog tastes blood, chances are, it will do it again. The neighbor shot his dogs. He raised cattle, and could not have the dogs attack anything again. What if it had been a child the next time?

No one WANTS to kill a dog. Its not like we would go out, looking for one to shoot at random.  But sometimes it is the only answer that will prevent a dog from hurting, or worst, something that is very dear to us. Be it 2 or 4 legged.  Of course, the real problem is the owner, for not keeping their dog under control. But in most cases, that will NOT change.
Jonni