[RC] re: televising endurance and new endurance concept - Cindy Stafford

Linda Marins wrote:

Televising an endurance race *live* in a way that is interesting for
a TV audience is an almost completely different problem from
staging an endurance race that can sustain the attention of
spectators who are present at the event, which is a completely
separate problem yet again from figuring out how to film an
endurance race which is to be edited together with other
footage to create an interesting, coherent, and inevitably
shorter program that is to be televised *after the fact*.

The latter is by far the easiest problem.  (Since it is scripted :-)!

Which problem are you trying to solve?

Hi Linda -
Sorry to confuse the issue - really wasn't trying to solve anything.  Just thought there was a common thread of ideas of ways to present an endurance event that would attract an audience.  I was just throwing out a "gee, wouldn't it be cool if..." kind of idea.
I agree, my suggestion isn't a way to gather a live audience, but I just thought it would be a cool TV show to watch.  And wouldn't be too unusual for it to be edited and repackaged, seems like a lot of olympic and equestrian events are shown that way.  Whether that's a good thing or not, I wouldn't know, but it would be a great way for me to show my non-endurance family and friends what endurance is all about so they would understand it.  Otherwise, I'll just stick to showing them the youtube videos of Cougar Rock LOL.
Take care!
Cindy