[RC] 19th Century Endurance (was: A New Endurance Ride Concept) - Linda Marins

Hate to tell you, but your concept is not new at all.  It is, in fact,
the *original* form that "organized" endurance racing took in
the USA in the 1800's!

When I was researching the Frank Hopkins story, I was trying
to find mention in primary 19th century sources of his 1886
Galveston, TX, to Rutland, Vermont "endurance race."  Hopkins
claimed that the race had been sponsored by the National Police
Gazette.   The National Police Gazette was a very well-known
national weekly newspaper/magazine--as I was paraphrased in
Bobbie Lieberman's the LA Times Hopkins' article--a kind of cross
between the National Enquirer and Sports Illustrated.  Its editor, Richard
Kyle Fox, was a famous media mogul and sports promoter
(chiefly boxing)--a sort of Ted Turner of his day.  See:

As we all know by now, Hopkins was a gifted charlatan.  There
was no mention at all of this race in the National Police Gazette
(nor the Galveston paper, nor the Rutland, Vermont paper--both
of which are still in existence and have complete archives).

However, I discovered that the National Police Gazette *was*
sponsoring endurance contests of a very different sort...a 1-mile speed
track, around-and-around kind of event similar to what you propose.

The Gazette, indeed the 19th century as a whole, loved to issue
what I would call "challenges."  The Challenge was sometimes made
by a reader, sometimes by the Gazette's editors.  It would go
something like this, "I am pleased to have the acquaintance
of Mr. So-and-So of Such Place, State.  I am of the opinion
that Mr. So-and-So is the Greatest Distance Equestrian in
The World.  I offer a prize of $10,000 (or any non-trivial
figure) to Anyone who can defeat Mr. So-and-So in a match
race at any track of their choice."  And the Challenge would
be on.

During the month that Hopkins claimed his what-we-would-think-of-
as-an endurance race was taking place, the National Police Gazette
actually did hold such a Challenge.  It was a 100-mile race between
a horseman and a bicycle rider!  They raced around a 1-mile
racetrack.

These Challenge races were usually man-to-man, or man against the
clock for a speed record.  Sometimes they used just one mount.
Often, they were more like a Pony Express relay, where each rider
had five mounts.  They rode each horse 10 miles, then moved on
to the next horse.  Each horse had to be ridden twice, so the
rider had to be sure not to exhaust the horse on the first go
around.  (Needless to say, there were no vet checks or fit to
continue criteria.)  They were usually held around race tracks.
But I seem to remember that one of these Challenges was held
at Madison Square Garden.

The Haggin Cup is named for 19th century California robber
baron James Ben Ali Haggin.  Haggin used to hold these kinds of
race track endurance contests all the time.  My guess is that this
is what inspired his descendants (very, like Haggin, into Thoroughbred
racing, as in Elmendorf Farm and William Haggin Perry) to sponsor
the Haggin Cup.  Incidentally, Haggin was a the grandson of a Turkish
immigrant who claimed to have been a Jannisary--a member of the
Ottoman Palace Guard!  See: http://haggin.org/JBAH_Biography.html
for a *very* white-washed biography!

The 1-mile flat track form of endurance race continued into the
early 20th century.  What Wendell Robie was doing was not
new, he was just continuing to do what had been done for
over 50 years.  His feat is more the last example of something
than a first--that last example being the one that has persisted
into present-day memory.

But of course, getting to know you from Ridecamp as I have,
I've already know that you are just joking.

Shame on you for trolling!

;-)

Linda Marins