Re: [RC] [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.4610 Question about the Dr. Miller article - Maryanne Gabbani

He actually suggests that Barbaro snapped the sesamoid bone and without that support the entire lower part of the leg (pastern and so on) broke down, and into little pieces. Bad enough a broken sesamoid. I have a mare who did that with a BIG buck in deep sand and who then proceeded to race in the same sand for about 200 metres before I could stop her. Thank God nothing else broke at the same time.  A year off work, rehab on hard soil, and so on and I have a sound mare who will NEVER compete in anything since all rides here are done in the desert. But she is also now prone to other problems in the same leg. It never fixes as good as it was.

Maryanne