[RC] First 100 - Nikki McCormack

I hear a lot of talk about 100 mile ride attendance dropping, so my husband and I are determined to try for the 100 mile goal (our horses willing).  My question is, do you think it is too much to ask 100 miles out of a horse in it's first year of endurance competition?  To give a little background, we have been attempting to start endurance for two years, but due to health and injury issues (as well as a few other major time conflicts), have not managed to attend an endurance ride.  We did make two LDs in 2005, one with a pull overtime on my part and metabolic due to bad saddle fit on my husbands part (saddle has been replaced), and the other with decent completions by both of us.  Aside from those rides, we have done lots of conditioning in preparation for rides we never made it to.  This year started our conditioning program with the new year and have been slowly increasing with the hopes of doing our first 50 in March.  We have a somewhat ambitious goal of trying the 100 mile ride at Sunriver in Bend, OR on June 23rd.  Does this seem like too much to ask in a first year of competition?

Thanks!
Nikki
AERC M33800 / PNER 3782 / NSS 44146