Re: [RC] What is an FEI "Invitational"? - Endurance Net

OK, this has been bugging me for a long time.? What, exactly, is an
"Invitational" endurance race?? Does it mean that only those competitors
that the host invites can compete?? Does it mean that anybody can come
and compete, but only the invited competitors get their way paid?

Good Question. The way FEI works, as I understand it, but you are welcome to read the FEI rules of competition. is that for CEI***/**/* events, the organizing committee (OC == RM == Ride Manager) of the event sends an invitation to each of the national federations (NF) of selected (not necessarily all) countries. (for CEI**** and CEIO events, the National Federation then provides the OC with a list of "nominated entries" from that country. That list becomes the "definite entries" @ 2 weeks prior to the event)

Each entrant to CEI***/**/** events then must present a letter from their NF to the OC, and each entry, when they register for the event, documenting that their federation has approved their participation.

The concept of "invitational" events is not reflected in the FEI rules as far as I can see. It is really a combination of 1) The expenses for a set of participants will be paid by the OC, and 2) the NF agrees to issues letters for those participants listed in 1).?

There have been invitational events for a number of years, the President's Cup (preceeded by the "Worlds Most Prefered") being the longest lived that I'm aware of. Last summer's Shining Moon CEI*** in Japan was also an example, with Ann Hall being invited to ride from the US; and the recent 2008 WEC pre-ride being another. I understand that the invited list for the WEC pre-ride was quite controversial within some federations; i.e. that some NFs wanted riders other than those who were invited by the OC to participate. Because of the special nature (i.e. the agreed upon 40% completion rate), the OC was given special latitude to over-ride the federation choices in the case of the 2008 WEC pre-ride.?

But the normal (i.e. by the rules) process is that the NFs decide who they are going to send.?

How can any endurance "race" that is composed of only hand-picked
invited competitors--or whose field is so vastly skewed in favor
of only hand-picked invited competitors--be?considered a Fair
competition?

A fair competition can, I think, be achieved if the OC is?diligent?in their selection of participants. Note that the other mechanism (where the NF decides) is just as problematic b/c in is normally those who can afford to get themselves and their horse to a competition that get to ride. Also note that CEI**** and CEIO events are handled differently.

?
How can the FEI possibly sanction a race that is made up of
chiefly or exclusively?"Invited" competitors?

By bending the FEI rules and/or coercing the NFs to follow the OC stipulations for participation.

?
And most particularly, what compromises to integrity must a
competitor make--both in actions but most particularly in words--
in order to stay on any particular?billionaire's "Invited" list?
?
It is most likely (IMO) that the easiest way to consistently get an "invitation" is to be a winner, to become friends with the OC, ?or to be very rich:)?

But note!! It is note necessary to be on any particular rich guy's invited list!! If I were a rider from Japan or New Zealand or Mexico or any of the many places Steph has visited, I would be happy to be on her "invited" list!! riding in the Owyhee Country is quite an adventure and invitations can (and have) been opportunities not to pass up!!! Next years Owyhee 100 in May has already gotten a long "invited" list:) ? Leonard has ridden the Owyhee's ?a number of times as an invited competitor, as has Miguel Pavolosky and Mercedes Tapia from ARG and Bob Gieland from Main etc. etc.) Angie has a standing invitation, but she can never get away to come ride!! Steph mainly tries to do trades (as she isn't married to a billionaire!!) - but it's the same concept really:)

jt (who is supposed to be writing my Patagonia story ... did you see the pict?)