Re: [RC] Most energy effecient water tank de-icers - Ellen Zawada

My husband built me an insulated box three years ago that has done wonders.  It is 4 foot high on three sides, and the same hight as the stock tank on the front.   The boxes are also designed for a lid at the stock tank hight. I also use a post hole digger to put 3 holes under the tank that are around 4 foot deep (our ground freezes between 36-40 inches).  I do need to put some tube/pipe in the holes so that they do not cave in during the spring thaw.  The ground is warmer than the air and keeps the bottom of the tank from freezing.  I am in Michigan near Lake Huron (can you say lake effect snow) and this has made all the difference in the world.

Ellen
Sisu West Ranch <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If you want to cut down the cost of running a heater:

1. Make a cover for 2/3 or more of the tank top.  Include an extension (say a piece of plywood) that goes down below water level and keeps the wind out of the covered portion.

2. Purchase some plywood and foam insulation and insulate the whole outside of the tank and underneath.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875