[RC] Most energy effecient water tank de-icers - Rebecca Fabiszak

 Now that winter is upon us, I need to know different ways folks have found to de-ice water tanks using the least amount of electricity. I purchased a pond pump but I believe it is too small to keep the ice from forming. I have a pump that pumps 200 gallons per hour at a lift of 1 foot. It is in my 100 gallon steel tank. I have also purchased a new de-icer. It is the aluminum cast one. I am hoping that it uses much less electricity than the one that my girlfriend used at her house last year. The one she used last year raised her electric bill $90 a month. I know it depends on "cost per kilowatt" but I know Utah is cheaper than many states and I am hoping the cast aluminum one is more efficient. I figure if I can use a pump in one tank (keeping the water from freezing but not heating it) and a de-icer in the other tank, the horses will have a choice as to the temperature of water that they drink. I know some horses prefer not to drink warmed water. Any information about pond pumps and different de-icers would be great. Any ideas on insulating water tanks would be helpful also. Beccy